Tuesday, December 6, 2011

What the hell did Jean-Paul Sartre mean when he said: "3pm is too late and too early to start anything"???????

By the way, I feel very lazy after reading Sartre. Why is that????|||I'm not quite sure what he meant. But it's almost 3 pm here now, so I have his permission to not do anything with the rest of my day :).





My guess though is that it's too late to start any of your day pursuits and too early to start any of your night ones.|||I always thought that what he meant by that was that 3:00 pm is too late to start normal daily activities, like going to work, but too early to start normal nighttime activities, like going to a cafe and spending the night dicussing things with friends over drinks.





To me, 3:00 pm has always seemed like the deadest part of the day. It is, really, too early to start a big project that you should have started earlier, and it's too early for the really interesting business that goes on at night, by which I mean discussions that last until 3:00 am.





I always feel lazy after reading Sartre, too, if that's of any comfort. I think it's because he makes me want to sit outside at a cafe, drinking coffee and smoking (though not Gauloises--they're too harsh--I prefer my Camels, thanks very much) and watching people and jotting really deep stuff in a notebook. I never think of him or read him without thinking of sitting in the sun all day and just "thinking", or better yet discussing stuff with someone. If I could spend all my days going to coffee at about 2:00 pm with a friend and talking into the night, I would.





If you want a Sartre quote that you can really wrap your head around, use this one instead: "Hell is other people," from "No Exit." Don't believe me? Think about it the next time you're at a family party and the house is so full there's nowhere to sit down and everyone's kids are screaming and the adults are discussing their digestive problems and the meal is overcooked.





Salut!|||3pm is an awful time of day.





The only thing that could start at 3pm is a children's birthday party. And even then, 2.30pm is superior.





At 2pm, you can be having a late lunch. But by 3pm, a 'late lunch' has become a farcical excuse for eating all day.


By 4pm you can have a late-afternoon coffee break and start getting ready to go home and make dinner. But a coffee break at 3pm is nonsensical and ludricrous. Nothing can be planned at 3pm. It is a lost time of confusion, apathy, emptiness and vague terror. It is the abyss of the afternoon.





Let's face it, 3pm is horrendous. It must be stopped.|||I guess he meant that there isn't much point in doing anything at all. That's existentialism, we're all sentenced to death anyway because we have to die whatever we do ...


I'm not a big fan of Jean Paul either, he's rather depressing ;-)|||Haha did he say that? It sounds like something from a Seinfeld skit. I guess he was commenting on the futility of starting any new project at such an hour. He preferred snoozing.|||Still sucking up the tomato juice, too early to party.|||Ive always liked "Hell is other people"|||%26gt;%26gt;%26gt; By the way, I feel very lazy after reading Sartre. Why is that????





Maybe you have found what your real essence is. :)|||So do I and can't be bothered to answer....sorry

No comments:

Post a Comment