Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Existentialism-did Jean Paul Sartre really mean to say I am pink therefore I am spam- got lost in translation?

It was Decartes brother who said 'I'm pink therefore I'm jam'.


I believe Sartre said 'Hell is other people' - How true that is.|||It was just food for thought.|||I thought he was a synth player :-)|||No that was Descartes. Satre said: Tesco ergo sum (I shop therefore I am)|||I drink, therefore I am





or was that Monty Python???|||It is a humorous alternative phrase to Descartes's "I think, therefore I am":





Cogito, ergo sum





Meaning





Usually translated from the Latin as 'I think, therefore I am'.





Origin





Possibly the best known of all philosophical quotations; this is from the French philosopher Ren茅 Descartes in his Discourse on Method (1637), where he attempted to prove his existence as a thinking being, by thinking. 'I think, therefore I am' comes to us in English via two translations. Descartes' original statement in French was "Je pense, donc je suis".





This is such a well-known line that it has spawned humorous alternatives, not least:





"I'm pink, therefore I'm spam"


"Ren茅 Descartes was a drunken fart - I drink therefore I am".

No comments:

Post a Comment