Saturday, November 19, 2011

What was the Jean-Paul Sartre quote from the film The Box?

I'm trying to remember a quote I heard from a movie I was watching entitled The Box (with Cameron Diaz). I believe the quote was from Jean-Paul Sartre and was recited by the character Arlington Steward.





If anyone can help, I would really appreciate it. Thanks!|||____Arlington Steward (portrayed by Frank Langella), in reply to a Nora Lewis (portrayed by Cameron Diaz) question about whether she can be forgiven, says the following:





"I don't know. I understand that you admire the writings of John Paul Sartre. Perhaps these words will comfort you. There are two ways to enter the final chamber, free or not free. The choice is ours."





Please see:


http://www.tvmoviequotes.com/thebox/arli鈥?/a>





____NOTE: In a penetrating review of the film, the following is noted by the reviewer:


"...Jean-Paul Sartre also plays an important part in the film. At the beginning of the film, Norma Lewis (Diaz) is teaching a class where she talks about how 'hell is other people' and how hell really is other people seeing you for what you are. There is also a performance of Sartre鈥檚 'No Exit' whose theme returns at the rehearsal dinner. This comes up again when she and Steward talk in the library about there disfigurements (her missing four toes and he missing his left cheek). In the monologue, which happens to be one of Diaz鈥檚 best cinematic moments, she talks about when she first saw his face she felt love instead of repulsion, and she knew that she would never feel sorry for herself again. Sartre appears again at the end thanks to Steward who quotes 'There are two ways to enter the final chamber, free or not free.' This is a twist on the quote 'There are two ways to go to the gas chamber, free or not free.' Sartre鈥檚 writings on free will are the foundation for the entire movie."


http://themostbeautifulfraud.blogspot.co鈥?/a>





Thus, although I am reasonably sure about my answer, I am unable to be sure that the quote noted in my answer above is that which you seek.





Good luck!|||link: Thank you for selecting my answer as the "Best Answer." I found the reviewer's remarks particularly interesting. I am pleased that I was able to help; and I appreciate your awarding my answer 5 stars.


--RetroRay

Report Abuse

No comments:

Post a Comment